Product: Air root pruning pots
The Best Place to buy: www.amazon.co.uk
Size of pots: 30cm x 30cm.
The volume of Compost Required: 20 litres
Shipping Weight: 0.54kg
My score: 9/10
If you ever grow a plant in a container, you know that there comes a time when the plant becomes root bound. This is when instead of the roots growing downwards (as they would normally do in a garden) in search of nutrients and moisture; it instead goes around and around at the bottom of the container.
This will affect how the plant response, so that it cannot obtain the nutrients or the moisture that it requires. The plant will start to suffer and wilt, even if water is added to the container. The plant will look sad and neglected, the leaves start turning yellow, not a pretty sight. Your first thought is that the plant is dying, but no, it just needs rehousing.
Wait a minute, what if there is a better way to grow your plants, without it suffering, where becoming root bound become a thing of the past. There is an answer and it is these air pots.
WHAT IS AN AIR ROOT POT?
The Air pot is a reusable container that is actually recyclable after a long time of use. It is claimed that the pots improves the quality of the roots of the plant and therefore produces a healthier plant. These revolutionary approach leads to the plant within to produce a non-spiraling root system that cannot be repeated by other containers on the market.
The environmentally friendly pot is made out of high-density polythene, which is recyclable once the product has reached the end of the life cycle.
The Air pot is circular in shape with a perforated side wall all around it. It looks like a plastic egg box and feels like one too. There are no flat surfaces and so the plant roots cannot be deflected back into the container and therefore stopping the spiraling process.
The inward pointing cones have holes in them from which the roots grow toward and through them. Any roots that emerge from the holes meet the air, where the roots will dehydrate and die. This process is known as air pruning.
The plants’ response to this air pruning is to send out more new roots to compensate for the loss. This leads to a dense and fibrous root system that radiates from a central point. The new root system is created in a short time. A better root system will result in a bigger, healthier plant.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
The pot comes in a kit form, where the egg-shaped wall, base plate, and fastening screws can be assembled in minutes. The kit is flat packed, but no need to worry as detailed instructions are given, and as a bonus, no tools are required. You fill the air pot with the growing medium of your choice.
The pots are very durable and will last a number of years. They come in a variety of sizes of 4 litres, 7 litres, 10 litres, 12litres, 20 litres and 30litres. So if you have a large plant then there is a pot size that is suitable to meet your growing requirements.
MY OWN EXPERIENCE USING AIR POTS
I have personally used a 7 litres pot to grow sweet peppers, tomatoes, and chilies in them, with great success. The plants do seem healthier and there do seem to be more fruit produced.
IS IT WITHOUT PROBLEMS?
No. because the compost does dry out very quickly. In dry, hot weather, especially in greenhouse plants, plenty of watering is required, sometimes up to 2 times a day.
The best thing about this problem is that at the end of the season it can be unraveled and stored away for use next year.
• Healthy plant and roots- stops the plants becoming root bound.
• Less rehousing- perennials can remain in pots for years. When it needs to be repotted then this can be done with ease.
• Reusable- The pots are durable and are made out of UV resistant HDPE. It is easy to assemble and disassemble.
• Multiple sizes are available- 4 litres, 7 litres, 10litres, 20 litres, and 30 litres.
• Increase the yield of fruit and vegetables-better roots means larger harvests.
• More roots mean more feeding- It is advised to add a slow release fertilizer to the growing medium. You also need to feed once a week with a liquid tomato fertilizer during the growing season.
• It will need frequent watering as more roots mean more water will be required. You will need to add water retaining crystals to the compost to reduce the amount of water that is required.
• The instructions are detailed enough, but it does not state which way up the domed base plate goes. I found out later that the domed plate has to face up, with the flat edge facing upwards.
BUY YOURSELF ONE TODAY
If you want to grow your tomatoes, peppers, or you have perennials that need to be potted, then these air pots come highly recommended by me. This is true once you get the watering and feeding regime right.
If you use one expect, a large display of beautiful flowers. Make the right choice and get one today here.
If you have any questions you wish to make, please leave them in the comment box below.
Do not forget to share the good news.
Follow me in social media on